Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Three

The week leading up to the dive was so incredibly busy I hardly had time to think about what was coming on Saturday. Thus, no talking myself out of it. I've learned to compartmentalize very well (maybe too well) over the years. The mind is an amazing tool. Especially if you exercise mind over matter, which is exactly what I attempted to do. There were minimal nerves, mostly stubborn fortitude. Although I have to admit that I had a severe adrenaline rush just 8 days before the scheduled jump because someone tried breaking into our house. Yeah, you heard me right.

I was up late (or early) studying for my last final and trying to get a paper written when I heard someone trying to open our door. I bolted upstairs, nearly broke my toe again, and got Eddie. He flew out of bed and down the stairs while I called the police. Eddie ran after him a little bit but the guy had a pretty good head start and then started walking away very slowly. Kind of makes me think he may have had a weapon since he was so flagrant in his confidence. I always thought I'd be touch chick in that situation but I totally ran. My "flight" response kicked in big time. Makes me wonder if I'm more of a pacifist than I think. Eddie on the other hand had the "fight" in him. I'm glad though. He protects his family. He makes me feel safe.

Nevertheless, that was NOT the adrenaline rush I was looking for. On the bright side, it helped me stay up the rest of the night to study...

1 comment:

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

Oh my goodness... .the dear sweet Belmont. I'm so glad you are OK!

Once I accidently blocked in someone's motorcycle -- they were actually parked more in my spot than in theirs -- and he knocked on our door at 4 a.m.

I was pretty sure it was someone coming to kill me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails