
I didn't get pictures of all three days we went so I 'borrowed' from some the internet. [You can figure out which ones by scrolling over the pic and clicking on it.] But rest assured, we did get frozen yogurt on campus each time we went. That was always the end goal. I took him to the Institute, where he got sour patch licorice for free. Good place that LDS Institute is.
I absolute LOVE walking through here after class. It's always green and beautiful and peaceful.
Then we walked though Muir woods and all the construction going on. I told Jadon he's have good luck if he walked backward under the Sun God statue so he did.
One day, we walked all the way over to Stonehenge to see the stone blocks there.

We saw Che Cafe and Giesel Library named after Theodore Giesel or Dr. Suess.

Jadon loved going to the 6th floor of the library and looking out over campus. I think his favorite part was taking a picture with the bronze statue of Dr. Suess and the Cat in the Hat.
Yeah, he really liked Dr. Suess, so much so that Jadon thought it appropriate to show his love for Dr. Suess by climbing on his head.
We walked through some of the wooded area north of Library Walk to see the metal trees and listened to the singing tree. We also saw the skateboard memorial and I told him the story of a boy, just 20 years old, who rode his skateboard down the hill without a helmet. He wiped out, hit is head and died. Good lesson for a young kid if you ask me. Way to scare him straight. Sadly, it's a true story.
We also saw the Chicano Legacy mural, which is one of my favorites.
On our way up Jadon stood on some kind of AC vent and loved getting his clothes blown on.
One student even stopped to watch him because Jadon was laughing and giggling.
We went through Price Center and Jadon thought is was the coolest thing that I had a Burger King at my school. He asked me lots of questions about where the students lived and commented that my school was like a little city. Smart kid :) I took him through the Old Student Union and showed him Erickson Hall [since that's my maiden name] and tried to find the graffiti corridors but couldn't.
We also rolled down the hill outside the Applied Math and Physics (AP&M) building.
Of our trips to campus, I think my favorite parts were when students and faculty members would pass us and smile as they looked down at Jadon. It's not everyday you see a kid his age on campus.
And he is the future after all. Jadon's spirit reminds us that we were once children too, full of wonder and imagination. I think it caused pause for silent reminiscing about our childhood [judging by the smiles on the faces of professors]. Perhaps seeing such uninhibited youthfulness spawns thoughts on how we can revive some of that spirit in an effort to enrich our lives. At least it did for me.
After our last excursion, I asked Jadon if he thought he might like to attend UCSD for college [since he was so excited on our trips] to which he replied, "No Mom, I'm going to BYU."
Good grief child.
3 comments:
HEY!!!!! So the graffiti hall if your interested is:
walk from the old gym in between the Original Student Center (on your right) and the Mandeville Center (on your left). Walk along side the Mandeville Center. The first place where there is an opening along the building (by opening, I mean an area where you can walk across to the other side of the building and where there are other doors in the same "pathway" if you will). Walk down the 4 or 5 steps (I think) and then the first door on your right is the graffiti hall. You can usually be sure it is the correct door because if you look above the door to the right, there is usually a sign that says something like "graffiti is illegal". This door gets you into graffiti hall. However, also be warned that the university paints over it every so often so perhaps you were at the right place but they had already covered it.
also you can go here: http://ucsdsecrets.com/?cat=2 and do a work find search. Type in Graffiti and it will show you the "corridor"/"pathway" thing I was talking about.
Hope this helps :-)
on the picture of Jadon climbing on Dr. Seuss' head you said it was a sign that he really liked the author. Whenever he climbs on my head I take it as a sign that he is trying to hurt me, lol
LOL, he tends to get carried away in excitement, he loves you Kenna :)
Post a Comment