Monday, January 25, 2010

Elder "Brodder"


This past weekend my brother got home from his mission! My mom and my youngest brother Matt went to Texas to pick him up. Greg served an honorably in the Dallas, Texas Spanish-speaking mission. I have to admit, I was worried he'd be a totally different person. Of course his mission had to have changed him but I was worried he'd be too churchy or something. (Yeah, I know I got work to do for thinking that.) Anyway, he did come home grown up, more mature, with a stronger testimony having received a true conversion to the gospel of Jesus Christ. But he was also same old Greg, always able to make me laugh, always positive, happy and smiling.


I thought it was really neat the his Stake President (the Bishop from my youth) invited my siblings and I along with our parents to the meeting at which Greg reported on his mission before getting released. Not only was it wonderful to see the faces of old friends and people who were influential in my youth but we got to hear Greg share a few experiences in his mission. One of them was about a couple he taught who happened to be living together. As he taught them the gospel and about eternal families, he asked them how they felt about getting married. They did end up getting married and baptized. Greg said that experience meant a lot to him. What he didn't mention to the high council (and this will tell you what kind of person Greg is) was that he had sent a letter home to my mom describing where he packed away a small diamond ring he once bought for his high school girlfriend as a Christmas gift. He had my mom send it to him and he gave it to the brother to give to his wife when they were married since the couple had a meager income. Even without that additional information, I could see many of the people he reported to were moved by the love my brother had for the people he taught, the power of his testimony and the gift he has of speaking by the Spirit.


Another experience Greg had on his mission that left an impression on me was one he shared when he spoke in sacrament meeting. He said one day he and his companion were out "knockin' doors" as he called it. He freely admitted that he wasn't exactly a fan of "knockin' doors" but they had about a half hour and his companion suggested that is what they ought to do. So they decided to pray before deciding where to go. Greg said they offered a simple but faith-filled prayer, "Heavenly Father, we have 30 minutes. Use us." They ended up driving to a large apartment complex nearby with several entrances. As Greg drove, he waited for his companion to direct him to the entrance they should use. They got down to the last one and his companion said, "Turn here." Greg did and as they got out, they both felt to go to an apartment closest to the parking lot on the first floor. They found two siblings there, a boy and a girl, ages 17 and 19. They were interested in the message my brother and his companion had to share. And of course, after they were taught, they were baptized. I'm not sure if this is the same girl (but I think it is so I will share this) that asked my brother at a Stake Conference if all boys had to serve a mission. He told her that the prophet asked that every worthy young male serve a mission but they have their agency so they can choose whether or not to go. She had tears in her eyes as she replied, "Thank you for serving a mission."

I always find it amazing how many lives are changed when one serves a mission. Even if the missionary is the only one changed, the effects of that change have the potential to pass on through generations.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails