Saturday, October 23, 2010

Big Boys




The thought of Zac turning 4 next month is really giving me mixed emotions. I've long known that I don't really have a 'toddler' anymore but rather a "little boy." However, because of some of Zac's delays, I'll admit it is sometimes nice to feel like you still have a toddler around. It's almost like his childhood has been extended. Of course it has its challenges and frustrations too but overall, I'd count it as a blessing that I get to experience his innocense for a lot longer than I would otherwise. Alas, Zac is growing up and has completely entered the realm of little-boyhood. Luckily, he will still give me hugs and kisses, snuggle while we read books and tell me he missed me when I pick him up from school. That boy really melts my heart.


Zac keeps saying more and more words (or attempting to) so we are extremely pleased with that. He loves going to school and insists on being such a big boy lately! He wants to pee standing up (he's potty training right now) and wants to sit in a big boy booster seat in the car (and since he's totally big enough to and it's so much easier, I let him) and he's always wanting to put his backpack on for school. He hums as he does things and while it might seem as if he's in his own little world I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case I am really happy that he musters up the courage and confidence to do things on his own. I think this will be an invaluable gift in his life as he will encounter challenges he'll need to overcome. (Oh and it's okay to laugh at this next picture, we know he looks kind of "special" in it...)


It's funny how kids are so different. With Zac, I knew from the beginning he was going to be one who goes at his own pace. If any type of change was going to take place, it was going to have to be his idea. Thus, I waited to potty-train him and what do you know, one day he just took off his diaper and went. Of course we have to work on the consistency and perhaps deal with the stigma of being almost four and not in underpants yet. But honestly, a mile-stone is a mile-stone and the fact that I knew for sure Zac was ready when we started and that he might take a little longer to transition is something I'm really okay with. And here I was worried about how I was going to get him to sit in a booster seat instead of his car seat when it came time to make the change and again, one day, he just sat in Jadon's booster. I'm so glad I stuck to my intuition. I really think mom's know what's best for their individual kids and that it's not something that is the same across the board for everyone.


With Jadon, I knew that if I pushed him to do harder things, his self-efficacy would grow and because of his personality, he would really truly believe that he could do anything. Of course, traits like these are like a double-edged sword because while he believes that he can accomplish his goals, he also believes that it is entirely possible to get around going to bed on-time. But when he does the hard things after some poking and prodding, he is always really excited to look back and say, "I did that!"


Jadon really likes school and recently got an award for "sharing his thinking with the class." It's okay to laugh, we did too. As his principal announced the award she started talking about how Jadon sees the world through a very unique lens and likes to share that with everyone he meets. True. Jadon's teacher from last year came up to me and almost a little misty-eyed said, "It looks like someone else appreciates Jadon for who he is." I really feel blessed that he's had teachers that have supported his creativity and "uniqueness" but have also given him a structured environment in which to learn.


He is always making us laugh and recently shared with me that he wishes we had bidets in America so he wouldn't have to wipe so much... boys.


Just the other day, he dressed up as "a 20th century Mexican local" why no, my Latin American studies have absolutely no effect on my kids whatsoever He loves drawing pictures and writing stories and comics. He checks out a class book everyday and is always reading and telling us about what he's read. He's also very interested in anything prehistoric related right now and likes watching shows on Netflix that have to do with...




yep, that's right, cavemen, evolution, dinosaurs, ice-age animals, Pangaea, etc. I think it's all good except that we need to fast-forward through any type of, ahem, mating scenes because I'm really not ready to have that talk yet. It's funny how he goes through different phases of things he wants to know more about. Just today he told me that he must have descended from one fast monkey and a crazy one too I might add.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I love those boys. I miss them so much! You totally captured they're little personalities perfectly. Owen has some pretty awesome cousins to play with forever!

S.Shepherd said...

Hi Emily...It is okay that you found me through Danica.
We are going through the same thing with my son Andrew that you are with Zac. The delay in development, speech and potty training. I totally know how you feel some days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails