Friday, March 14, 2008

Handel's Messiah



So while I have the time, I need to put in a little plug for Messiah. I have been practicing with a choir from church for months now and we are finally performing this week. I have to say that I wasn't going to do it at first because it is some hard-core singing with an orchestra and everything. I didn't go to the first two practices because I was still undecided. Then I got an email saying the choir needed more women, altos in particular. I decided to give it a try because I thought, "When am I going to have another opportunity to be a part of something like this? After all, if it's too hard I don't have to go back." (Sounds like the flake that I am.) Well, I was lost the first week or two that I went to practice but luckily we were given practice CDs with our parts and there were a lot of great singers who were familiar with the pieces. I have the CD in my car and listen to it nearly every time I am driving. Jadon is always complaining,"Mom! I don't like your choir music!"


Messiah is baroque and if you've seen the music, or heard it for that matter, you'll know it is quite complicated. Regardless of it's difficulty, it is truly inspired music. To give a little background, the work is divided into three parts depicting the events of Christ's life. Part one prophesies of Christ's birth. Part two is about Christ's life and ministry, as well as his death and resurrection. Part three is based much on the events recorded in the book of Revelations in the Bible. Although Messiah is about events recorded in the New Testament of the Bible, many of the lyrics used to tell the story are taken from the Old Testament, specifically the messianic chapters of Isaiah. With this experience I have rekindled my love of good music. I am grateful for the privilege to sing praises to Jesus Christ and testify of Him through song.

If anyone is interested, we are performing this Wednesday and Thursday, March 19th and 20th at 7:30pm at the Poway Center for Performing Arts. Tickets are $4 at the door.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I am so impressed that you stuck it out - that is definitely hard core! I love that Jadon tells you he doesn't like your choir music too. How funny!

Question about the dates though...March 22 & 23rd are Saturday/Sunday...so are those the right dates or are you performing on Wed/Thurs March 19 & 20th?

Jen said...

Emily! I didn't know you were a blogger. I came across your site while blog stalking one of Chad's cousins. Too funny. I hope you don't mind, but I am excited to read your past posts. Do you mind if I add your link to my blog? You have such a cute family. I just LOVE your boys.

Britney, Matt, and Parker Croad said...

This is sooo cool! I love the Messiah, Love Love Love it! Every Easter and Christmas I'm trying to find someone that is performing it cause I love it so much. Im so happy for you to be participating in this and I will try my darndest to get there to see you perform. :)

emwhitte said...

Thanks Melissa! The dates are the 19th and 20th. I changed it on the blog so hopefully that helps. Just another clue to me that I need to get organized!

deannah said...

That's so cool, Em! I don't think we'll be able to make it with the timing, but I saw it performed a few years ago and it was amazing. Incredibly beautiful music!! Good luck and enjoy it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails